SEAFOODNEWS.COM [CNNMoney] July 2, 2015
Whole Foods execs are admitting the chain has been overcharging customers in New York City stores, but promised that if that ever happens again they'll give the food to customers for free.
John Mackey and Walter Robb, co-CEOs of Whole Foods (WFM), apologized to customers in a video filmed in the sliced fruit section of one of their grocery stores. The casually dressed execs admitted that some customers had been accidentally overcharged for sliced fruit, fresh squeezed juices and sandwiches by workers who made errors.
"Straight up, we made some mistakes," said Robb, framed by containers of sliced strawberries, kiwis and pineapples. "We want to own that and tell you what we're doing about it."
Mackey said there has been a "very, very small percentage...